Stories are more than just great ideas or words on a page. As a writer/editor/reader I know the amount of time and energy it takes to craft books or documents for your business and have them looking the best they can be. I can check grammar, punctuation, spelling and readability.
Note that all my services are for one round of editing or proofreading only. BUT I do offer a round of copy/proofreading as an optional extra. And all payments must be made in GBP.
FOR PRICING GO HERE
Copy editing/line editing
A copy edit as doesn’t concentrate on the structure, plot or characters but I do make suggestions for improvement. Instead, it includes paragraph structure, sentence structure, word selection and general suggestions for improvement. For example if I feel there is need for more description or more emotion within the story.
I’ll look at the flow of your story, the structure of your paragraphs and sentences, wordiness, repetition, consistency, selection of words, overused words and conjointly consistency within the details of your story and characters.
- Improves quality of wording, flow, sentence and paragraph structure.
- Basic fact checking (e.g. names, dates, events, people, places and calculations).
- Redundant words and phrases are removed.
- Ensures the tone targets the appropriate audience.
- Checks that text is concise and removes unnecessary wording.
- Checks formatting.
I edit pretty much all genres such as:
- Romance and all its sub-genres (including erotica)
- Fantasy and paranormal
- Science fiction
- Crime and thriller
- Self-help books
- Young Adult and its sub-genres
The genres I don’t edit are:
- Religious nonfiction
- Literary fiction or nonfiction.
My usual turnaround time is usually 7-10 days but this may vary depending on the amount of work involved. Prices are for one round of editing only.
Developmental or Structural Editing
Developmental editing is recommended before any copy editing takes place Where copy editing deals with typos and corrections, developmental editing is much more in-depth. I like to think of it as story editing. This focuses on the bigger picture such as the plot, character and structure of your story. As well as making comments and suggestions throughout the book file I also include a full in-depth feedback file at the end of an edit.
This the most in-depth form of editing and takes longer than either copy editing or proofreading.
- Check for consistency throughout the story
- Make suggestions for improvement, cut any unnecessary parts or suggest parts that need rewriting
- Check for continuity throughout – for example, if a character has the same hair colour they had in chapter 1
- Carry out thorough fact checking if required.
- The structure of the story and chapters
The feedback file will also include full indepth comments on:
- Characterisation – whether they are believable, whether they have the right motivations and will appeal to readers
- Writing style
Genres I developmentally edit:
- Romance (and all sub genres)
- Science Fiction
- Fantasy (and sub genres)
- Crime and thriller (plus sub genres)
- YA (all sub genres but not children’s books)
- Nonfiction self-help books
- I can do other nonfiction genres but it depends on the topic.
A 20% non-refundable deposit is required on booking.
Prices are one round of editing ONLY. Need more than one round of editing? Check out my deluxe package
Proofreading is the most basic form of editing. This is usually the final step that is done before publication. This service doesn’t include the things that copy editing and developmental editing will include. Proofreading is a crucial part of the writing process. I definitely recommend having this done after you have had either a copy edit and/or developmental edit done. When proofreading I go through and check for any kinds of typos and errors plus spelling and grammar issues.
I’ll also be checking for inconsistencies in style and formatting such as with bullet points, heading sizes, numbers and spacing.
- Correct spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes.
- Check that style is consistent throughout.
- Check consistency of British English vs American English spellings. Also includes Canadian and Australian English.
Turnaround time is usually 7-10 days.
Please contact me for a quote.